Amélia Pilar Rauter
Departamento de Química e Bioquímica (DQB) e Centro de Química e Bioquímica (CQB),
Faculdade de Ciências, Universidade de Lisboa (FCUL)
Rua Ernesto de Vasconcelos, Campo Grande,Edifício C8, 5º Piso, 1749-016 Lisboa, Portugal
Telephone: +351 21 7590052;Mobil:+351 964408824; Fax: +351 21 7500088
E-mail: email@example.com; Skype name: amelia.pilar.rauter
(b. 1950). Academic degrees: Habilitation (Agregação), FCUL, 2002; Doktor der Technischen Wissenschaft, Technische Universität Graz – Austria, 1982, stated equivalent to “Ph.D. in Chemistry“, UTL, 1984; Graduation in Chemical Engineering, UTL, 1974; Professional positions: Associate Professor, FCUL, (2003-); Invited professor, Université Pierre et Marie Curie (UPMC – Paris VI), France, October 2013; Invited Professor, Polish Academy of Sciences, August 2009, Warshaw, Poland; Invited Professor at the Université Paris Sud 11, Orsay, France, June 2009; Lecturer of DQB-FCUL (2003-1984); Assistant Professor of Organic Chemistry, Institut für Organische Chemie,Technischen Universität Graz - Austria (1983-1975); Student teacher, Instituto de Física e Matemática (1974-1972); Founder member and Senior Researcher of Center of Chemistry and Biochemistry (CQB-FCUL) (2001-); Member of CQB-FCUL Executive Committee (2013-); Founder and Leader of CQB Carbohydrate Chemistry Group (2001-); Researcher of the Centre of Mass Spectrometry, IST-UTL (1994-2001); Founder and Coordinator of the Portuguese Carbohydrate Chemistry Group of the Portuguese Society of Chemistry (2001-1995); Coordinator of DQB-FCUL Graduation in Chemistry (2004-2003); Coordinator of the Graduation in Chemistry and of the Euromaster in Chemistry and its specializations in Chemistry, Health and Nutrition, Green Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Applied Electrochemistry (2011-2009).
1. ACHIEVEMENTS AND HONORARY APPOINTMENTS
At the International level
- Secretary of the European Carbohydrate Organization since July 11, 2013;
- Founder of the International Carbohydrate Organization Young Researcher Award, 2014;
- Member of the European Innovation Partnership on Active and Healthy Ageing (EIP AHA) Action Group 3 – Prevention of functional decline and frailty, established for the implementation of its strategic plan for 2012-2015 and leader of its Faculty of Sciences-University of Lisbon Consortium;
-Member of the COST Action CM1102 entitled “Multivalent Glycosystems for Nanoscience MultiGlycoNano” since June 2013.
- Founder of the Iberian Carbohydrate Meetings, starting in 1999.
- European Chemist, title given by the European Chemist registration Board, established in 1992 by the European Communities Chemistry Council, 1998.
1. Member of the steering committee of the ESF funded network Euroglycoforum, and Executive of the network interest group Glycochemistry (2009-2014;
2. Member of PCBNet - Stem Cells, Prion Proteins and Alzheimer's Disease: A Prion Chemical Biology Network, Sheffield, UK (2011-2013);
3. Member of the research network entitled “Valuation of Portuguese Salvia species in terms of food quality and funcional food production”, approved by The British Council Convenium/Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia with The University of Sheffield (2008-2009).
Editorial board membership and editorial activities
1. Editor of the Royal Society of Chemistry Book Series Carbohydrate Chemistry – Chemical and biological approaches – invited by the RSC to relaunch the series, since 2008;
2. Member of the advisory board of European Journal of Organic Chemistry, starting 2014;
3. Associate Editor of Journal of Mediterranean Chemistry since 2012;
4. Member of the editorial board of Carbohydrate Research until 2005;
5. Member of the advisory board of the Journal of Carbohydrate Chemistry since 1998;
6. Member of the advisory board of the journal Natural Products – an Indian Journal, since 2006;
7. Guest editor of Topics in Current Chemistry for volumes 294 and 295 dedicated to Carbohydrates in Sustainable Development, 2012;
8. Guest editor of the European Journal of Organic Chemistry for the publication of the contributions dedicated to the centenary of the Portuguese Society of Chemistry, 2013.
- Titular member of IUPAC Division (VIII) of Chemical Nomenclature and Structure Representation;
- Associate member of IUPAC Interdivisional Committee on Terminology, Nomenclature and Symbols (ICTNS) until 2014 and Division VIII representative in ICTNS (2014-2015);
- Associate member of IUPAC Division (III) of Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, starting 2014;
- Secretary of the Subcommittee on Biomolecular Chemistry of IUPAC Organic and Biomolecular Division (III).
Other International Organizations
- National representative at the Internacional Carbohydrate Organization;
- National representative at the European Carbohydrate Organization;
- President of the European Carbohydrate Organization (2001-2003).
At the national level
-Awarded with the Mention of Excellency (Menção Excelente) by the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon in both evaluations by curricular ponderation in the periods 2004-2007 and 2008-2011;
- Chief Operational Officer of the LisbonLiving+ Consortium and member of its Executive Committee (2013-Sept.2014). This consortium was established for the application to a EIT KIC on Healthy Life and Active Ageing;
- Member of the UL Network on Health (2014 -);
- Member of the research core team of the FCT-Ph.D. Program entitled Catalysis and Sustainability (CATSUS), 2013;
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Technology Transfer Unit of the University of Lisbon UL-INOVAR (2009-2013).
2. RESEARCH INTERESTS
Development of molecular entities and processes to promote an active and healthy ageing and to act on the prevention of functional decline and frailty. Design and synthesis of new leads with new mechanisms of action or alternatively their isolation from natural resources and structure elucidation. Some promising molecules for metabolic (diabetes), degenerative diseases (Alzheimer´s and Prion diseases, cancer) and infection are currently under investigation.
3. RESEARCH PROJECTS AND OTHER EUROPEAN FUNDED PROGRAMS
Has coordinated/participated as PI of FCUL in projects sponsored by EU, IUPAC, NATO, FCT, QREN, FLAD, CRUP, among other funding agencies and programs and with national and international companies (42 projects). The projects funded by EU and IUPAC are highlighted below:
Projects approved by the European Union
1. “Diagnostic and Drug Discovery Initiative for Alzheimer’s Disease”, Industry-Academia Partnerships and Pathways (IAPP), FP7-PEOPLE-2013-IAPP, Project Nr. 612347, 2014-2018, PI from FCUL.
2. “PERsonalised ICT supported Service for Independent Living and Active Ageing”, Small or medium-scale focused research project (STREP), FP7-ICT-2013-10, Project Nr. 610359, 2013-2016, PI from FCUL.
3. “Healthy ageing with innovative functional foods/leads for degenerative and metabolic diseases (INNOVAFUNAGEING)”, approved in the “Invitation for Commitments to the Strategic Implementation Plan of the European Innovation Partnership on Active and Healthy Ageing (EIP AHA) - Action A3”, 2012-2015, Coordinator.
4. “11th. European Carbohydrate Symposium”, European Commission -Accompanying Measure, Quality of Life and Management of Living Resources, 2001, Coordinator.
5. “EuroConferences on Carbohydrates in Drug Research”, Commission of the European Communities - Training and Mobility Research Programme, 1997, Coordinator from FCUL.
6. “EuroConferences on Carbohydrate Mimics”, Commission of the European Communities – Human Capital and Mobility Programme, 1999, Coordinator from FCUL.
7. “Synthese de Molecules Biologiquement Importantes a partir des Glucides”, EEC Science Program, 1991–1994, PI-FCUL.
8. “Recommendations on Nomenclature of Flavonoids”, IUPAC project No. 2009-018-2-800 (2010-), Chair.
9. “Rules for Abbreviation of Protecting Groups”, IUPAC Project No. 2011-044-1, (2012-2013), team member.
10. “Revision and extension of IUPAC Recommendations on Carbohydrate Nomenclature”, IUPAC Project No. 2012-039-1 (2013-), team member.
4. ORGANIZATION OF INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES
Chairperson of seven International Conferences (6th Spanish-Portuguese-Japanese Organic Chemistry Symposium, 2012; Glycosciences in the International Year of Chemistry – Applications to Human Health and Disease, 2011; Carbohydrates as Organic Raw Materials V – Building a Sustainable Future (CORM V), 2009; 11th. European Carbohydrate Symposium (EUROCARB XI) 2001; 2nd Euroconference on Carbohydrates in Drug Research (ECCDR2), 2000; Phytochemical Society of Europe Meeting entitled “Natural Products from the Plants and Marine Organisms of the Mediterranean and Atlantic Seaboard: Isolation, Synthesis and Industrial Applications”, 2000; 1st International Meeting of the Portuguese Carbohydrate Chemistry Group, 1995, and has been member of the scientific and organizing committees of a number of International and National Meetings.
5. TEACHING ACTIVITIES
- She had the initiative to create the EuroMaster in Chemistry with specialization in Chemistry, Health and Nutrition of DQB-FCUL, structured this course and was responsible for its implementation (2006).
- She lectured and has been responsible for Organic Drug Synthesis and Molecular Glycobiology, optional courses of the EuroMaster in Chemistry with specialization in Chemistry, Health and Nutrition of DQB-FCUL since 2006.
- She lectured and has been responsible for the course Organic Chemistry I (1st year, Graduation in Chemistry and Technological Chemistry) since 2002.
- She lectured and has been responsible for Carbohydrate Chemistry (3rd year, Graduation in Chemistry, optional), lectured since its implementation in 2002.
- She has organized the following post-graduation 3 day courses:
1. “Structure and Conformation of Carbohydrates. NMR and Molecular Recognition”, lectured by Jesus Jiménez Barbero, Filipa Marcelo e Ana Arda (Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas, CSIC, Spain, in 2011;
2. “Industrial Drug Research” lectured by Dr. Hans Peter Wessel, Hoffmann-La Roche, Basel, Switzerland, 2010;
3. “Molecular Mechanisms of Drugs” lectured by Prof. Beat Ernst, Universidade de Basel, Switzerland, in 2009.
6. SUPERVISION OF Ph.D. THESIS, MASTER THESIS AND POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS
Supervisor of 18 Ph.D. theses, and of six additional Ph.D.students, who are currently carrying out their research. Also supervised 19 Master thesis and 10 Post-Doc fellowships granted by Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT).
Supervisor of the following Ph.D. theses (when acting as co-supervisor, this will be mentioned case by case):
1. "The first synthesis of glycosylflavanones catalysed by praseodymium triflate: a straightforward approach to potential antidiabetic agents", Rui Miguel Galhano dos Santos Lopes, SFRH/BD/30699/2006, co-supervision of Prof. Jorge Justino (Instituto Politecnico de Santarem/Escola Superior Agraria), Universidade de Lisboa, 2013. Rui is Post-Doc at Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade de Lisboa (IST-UL), Portugal.
2. “Study of the bioactive extracts of Salvia sclareoides Brot. and Asteriscus vogelii (Webb.) Walp. and research on their bioactive principles”, Isabel Maria Martins Horta Branco, Universidade de Lisboa, 2011. Isabel is a teacher at Colégio Militar, Portugal.
3. “Synthesis of new sugar derivatives containing an a,ß-unsaturated carbonyl system in their structure and biological evaluation”, Nuno Manuel Ribeiro Martins Xavier, SFRH/BD/39251/2007, co-supervision of Dr. Yves Queneau (Université de Lyon, France), Universidade de Lisboa, 2011. Nuno was Post-Doc in Austria, then post-Doc of the Carbohydrate Chemistry Group and is now FCT investigator at CQB-FCUL.
4. “Polyfunctionalized carbohydrate-derived scaffolds for the production of libraries of bioactive compounds”, Ana Catarina de Araújo Silva, SFRH/BD/17815/2004, co-supervision of Prof. Francesco Nicotra (Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Italy), Universidade de Lisboa, 2010, European Ph.D. Ana Catarina is post-Doc in Sweden.
5. “Selective Anchoring of Cyclic Thionocarbamates on Ketohexoses”, Ana Catarina Simão, SFRH/BD/25891/2005, co-supervision of Prof. Patrick Rollin (Université d´Orléans, France) and Prof. Jorge Justino (Instituto Politecnico de Santarem/Escola Superior Agraria), Université d’Orléans, 2009. Ana Catarina is now post-Doc in UK.
6. "Carbohydrate-based 1,3-oxazoline-2-thiones as original bioactive structures. Synthesis and reactivity", Sandrina Isabel Ribeiro Martins da Silva, SFRH/BD/16937/2004, co-supervision of Prof. Jorge Justino (Instituto Politecnico de Santarem/Escola Superior Agraria) and Prof. Patrick Rollin (Université d´Orléans, France), Universidade de Lisboa, 2009. Sandrina is post-Doc at a University in Brazil.
7. “Total Synthesis and Stereochemical Assignment of Miharamycins”, Filipa Margarida Barradas de Morais Marcelo, SFRH/BD/17775/2004, co-supervision of Prof. Pierre Sinaÿ (Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France), and of Prof. Jorge Justino (Instituto Politecnico de Santarem/Escola Superior Agraria), Universidade de Lisboa, 2009. Filipa was a post-Doc of Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas-CSIC in Madrid, Spain and Science Investigator of Universidade Nova de Lisboa (UNL).
8. “Synthesis of gem-difluorocarbasugars”, João Carlos Falcão Sardinha, SFRH/BD/17839/2004, co-supervision of Prof. Pierre Sinaÿ (Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France), Universidade de Lisboa, 2009. Joao was post-Doc of UNL and is now employed by Hovione.
9. "Oxetane delta-Amino Acids: Synthesis and Derivatization", Susana Dias Lucas, SFRH/BD/16592/2004, co-supervision of Dr. Hans Peter Wessel (Hoffmann-La Roche, Switzerland), Universidade de Lisboa, 2009. Susana is post-Doc at Faculdade de Farmacia da Universidade de Lisboa.
10. "Synthetic approaches for the condensation of sugars with O-, N- and S-nucleophiles", Tânia Vanessa Santos de Almeida, SFRH/BD/3306/2000, Universidade de Lisboa, 2006. Tania was post-Doc at CQB-FCUL and is now at Universidade Lusófona.
11. "Contribution to the phytochemical study of plants endemic to Madeira Island: Flavonoids and 10lkaloids from Genista tenera", Alice Martins, co-supervision of Prof. Jorge Justino (Instituto Politécnico de Santarém) and of Prof. Carlos Borges (DQB-FCUL), Universidade de Lisboa, 2006. Alice is post-Doc at the Carbohydrate Chemistry Group-CQB-FCUL.
12. "Nitrenium ion chemistry: Investigation of the intramolecular cyclization of ethyl omega-(azidophenil)-2-phenylalcanoates", Orlando da Silva Pinto, Universidade de Lisboa, 2003. Orlando is working in a company in Angola.
13. "Synthesis of sugars containing butenolides in their structure", Tana Lukeba Canda, Universidade de Lisboa, 2002. Tana is Associate Professor, Universidade Agostinho Neto, Angola.
14. "Polen characterization by phenolics profile and bioactivity studies", Maria da Graça Ribeiro Campos, supervision of Prof. Dout. Proença da Cunha (Faculdade de Farmácia, Universidade de Coimbra) and co-supervision of Prof. Amelia Pilar Rauter, 1997. Maria is lecturer (Professor Auxiliar) of Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal.
15. "Synthesis of unsaturated bioactive moieties in carbohydrates", Maria Isabel Ismael, Universidade da Beira Interior, 1997. Maria Isabel is lecturer (Professor Auxiliar) of Universidade da Beira Interior, Portugal.
16. "Synthesis of Pseudo-C-Nucleosides", José Albertino Figueiredo, Universidade da Beira Interior, 1997. José is lecturer (Professor Auxiliar), Universidade da Beira Interior, Portugal.
17. "Synthesis of the hexopyranosidic sugar moiety analogues of Miharamycin", Maria João Dias Rua Ferreira, Universidade de Lisboa, 1996. Maria João is a secondary school teacher.
18. “Synthesis of the branched hexopyranosidic moiety of Amipurimycin. Development of novel methods for deoxygenation and for acetonation", Ana Cristina da Silva Fernandes, Universidade de Lisboa, 1996. Ana Cristina is a Science Investigator of IST-UL.
7. CURRENT RESEARCH GROUP
Ph.D. Students under direct Supervision
1. Ana Rita Xavier de Jesus, “Chemoenzymatic synthesis of sodium-glucose co-transporters sugar-based inhibitors for the treatment of diabetes”, co-supervision of Prof. Jian Liu (University of North Caroline, USA) and Prof. Timothy Dore (New York University of Abu Dhabi),SFRH/BD/78236/2011.
2. Vasco Miguel Candeias Cachatra “New synthetic strategies and structural optimisation of the sugar moiety from a selective butyrylcholinesterase inhibitor “, SFRH/BD/90359/2012.
3. Catarina Alexandra dos Santos Dias, “New molecular entities for multitarget therapy: infectious and neurodegenerative diseases”, BDE Grant, co-supervision of Dr. Dália Barbosa (CIPAN), SFRH/BDE/51998/2012.
4. João Pedro Almeida Pais, “Development of new antibiotics eficiente against Bacillus anthracis”, BDE Grant, co-supervision of Dr. Dália Barbosa (CIPAN) and Dr. Ricardo Dias (BIOFIG-FCUL), SFRH/BDE/51957/2012.
5. Ana Marta de Jesus Gomes de Matos, “From a multitarget antidiabetic glycosyl isoflavone towards new molecular entities against Diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease: generation of lead series and target assessment", co-supervision of Prof. Paula de Macedo (FCM-UNL), SFRH/BD/93170/2013.
Catarina Vizetto Duarte, Ph.D. student co-supervised by APRauter, "Antitumoural activity of Cystoseira species: insights into the mechanism of action”, supervision of Prof. Joao Varela (Universidade do Algarve), SFRH/BD/81425/2011.
Alice Martins, Post-Doc; Daniela Batista, Master student; Andreia Almeida, Master student; Rafael Nunes, Master student
Author of 150 publications and 12 published/granted patents, we highlight some of the peer reviewed publications and book chapters in the last ten years. Most of the published papers fall within the areas of organic chemistry, medicinal chemistry, multidisciplinary chemistry and applied chemistry, and are listed by decreasing order of year published and by decreasing order of impact factor (IF) each year.
5. S. Schwarz, B. Siewert, N. M. Xavier, A. R. Jesus, A. P. Rauter, R. Csuk, A “natural” approach: Synthesis and cytoxicity of monodesmosidic glycyrrhetinic acid glycosides, Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2014, 72, 78 - 83. IF:3.432
6. S. Schwarz, B. Siewert, R. Csuk, A. P. Rauter, New antitumor 6-chloropurine nucleosides inducing apoptosis and G2/M cell cycle arrest, Eur. J. Med. Chem., 2014, in press, IF:3.432.
8. A. P. Rauter, M. Ennis, K.-H. Hellwich, B. J. Herold, D. Horton, G. Moss, I. Schomburg, Nomenclature of Flavonoids IUPAC Recommendations 2014, Pure Appl. Chem. 2014, accepted, IF:3.112
11. A. Martins, R. Mignon, M. Bastos, D. Batista, N. R. Neng, J. M. F. Nogueira, C. Vizetto-Duarte, L. Custódio, J. Varela, A. P. Rauter, In vitro Antitumoral Activity of Compounds Isolated from Artemisia gorgonum Webb, Phytother. Res. 2014, 28(9), 1329-1334. IF: 2.397
12. S. Silva, F. V. M. Silva, J. Justino, A. P. Rauter, P. Rollin, A. Tatibouet, Synthesis and antimicrobial evaluation of oxazole-2(3H)-thione and 2-alkylsulfanyl-1,3-oxazole derivatives, Heterocycles 2014, 88(2), 1013-1028. IF: 0.908
14. C.Airoldi, E. Sironi, C. Dias, F. Marcelo, A. Martins, A. P. Rauter, F. Nicotra, J. Jimenez-Barbero, Natural compounds against Alzheimer’s Disease: Molecular recognition of Salvia sclareoides extract and its major component, rosmarinic acid, with Aß1-42 peptide, as investigated by NMR, Chem.-Asian J. 2013, 8(3), 596-602. IF: 3.935
17. L. B. Roseiro, C. S. Tavares, J. C. Roseiro, A. P. Rauter, Antioxidants from aqueous decoction of carob pods biomass (Ceretonia siliqua L.): Optimisation using response surface methodology and phenolic profile by capillary electrophoresis, Ind. Crops Prod. 2013, 44, 119-126. IF: 3.208
18. L. B. Roseiro, L. C. Duarte, D. L. Oliveira, R. Roque, M. G. Bernardo-Gil, A. I. Martins, C. Sepúlveda, J. Almeida, M. Meireles, F. M. Gírio, A. P. Rauter, Supercritical, ultrasound and conventional extracts from Carob (Ceratonia siliqua L.) Biomass: Effect on the phenolic profile and antiproliferative activity, Ind. Crops Prod. 2013, 47, 132-138. IF: 3.208
22. M. A. Brimble, D. S. Black, R. Hartshorn, A. P. Rauter, C.-K. Sha, L. K. Sydnes, Rules for abbreviation of protecting groups, Pure Appl. Chem. 2013, 85(1), 307-313. IF: 3.112
25. N. M. Xavier, A. P. Rauter, Environmentally friendly approaches to the synthesis of new antibiotics from sugars, Pure Appl. Chem. 2012, 84(3), 803-816. IF:3.112
26. J. P. Coelho, A. F. Cristino, P. G. Matos, A. P. Rauter, B. P. Nobre, R. L. Mendes, J. G. Barroso, A. Mainar, J. S. Urieta, J. M. N. A. Fareleira, H. Sovova, A. F. Palavra, Extraction of Volatile Oil from Aromatic Plants with Supercritical Carbon Dioxide: Experiments and Modeling, Molecules 2012, 17(9), 10550-10573. IF:2.095
27. J. A. Figueiredo, M. I. Ismael, J. M. Pinheiro, A. M. S. Silva, J. Justino, F. M. S. Silva, M. Goulart, D. Mira, M. E. M. Araujo, R. Campoy, A. P. Rauter, Facile synthesis of oxo-/thioxopyrimidines and tetrazoles C-C linked to sugars as novel non-toxic antioxidant acetylcholinesterase inhibitors, Carbohydr. Res. 2012, 347(1), 47-54. IF:1.966
28. L. Custodio, A. C. Ferreira, H. Pereira, L. Silvestre, C. Vizetto-Duarte, L. Barreira, A. P. Rauter, F. Albericio, J. Varela, The marine halophytes Carpobrotusedulis L. and Arthrocnemummacrostachyum L. are potential sources of nutritionally important PUFAs and metabolites with antioxidant, metal chelating and anticholinesterase inhibitory activities, Botanica Marina 2012, 55(3), 281-288. IF:1.000
31. A. C. Araújo, A. P. Rauter, F. Nicotra, C. Airoldi, B. Costa, L. Cipolla, Sugar-based enantiomeric and conformationally constrained pyrrolo[2,1-c][1,4]-benzodiazepines as potential GABAA ligands, J. Med. Chem., 2011, 54, 1266–1275. IF:5.480
32. N. M. Xavier, M. Goulart, A. Neves, J. Justino, S. Chambert, A. P. Rauter, Yves Queneau, Synthesis of Sugars Embodying Conjugated Carbonyl Systems and Related Triazole Derivatives from Carboxymethyl Glycoside Lactones. Evaluation of their Antimicrobial Activity and Toxicity, Bioorg. Med. Chem., 2011, 19(2), 926-938. IF: 3.205
33. A. Tatibouet, Ana-Catarina Simao, Sandrina Silva, Amelia P. Rauter, Patrick Rollin, Controlled Garegg Conditions for Selective Iodination on Pyranose Templates, Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2011, 2011(12), 2286-2292. IF:3.154
34. N. M. Xavier, Y. Queneau, A. P. Rauter, Exploitation of Furanoid 5-Azido-3-C-Branched-Chain Sugars as Precursors Towards Highly Functionalized Nitrogen-Containing Sugars, Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2011, 2011(4), 713-720. IF:3.154
36. R. G. Santos, A. R. Jesus, J. M. Caio, A. P. Rauter, Fries-type Reactions for the C-Glycosylation of Phenols, Curr. Org. Chem., 2011, 15(1), 128-148. IF:2.537
37. S. D. Lucas, H. Fischer, A. Alker, A. P. Rauter, H. P. Wessel; Libraries on Oxetane delta-Amino Acid Scaffolds: Syntheses and Evaluation of Physicochemical and Metabolic Properties, J. Carbohydr. Chem., 2011, 30, 498-548. IF:1.183
38. N. M. Xavier, A. P. Rauter, Y. Queneau, Carbohydrate-based lactones: synthesis and applications. Top. Curr. Chem.,2010, 295, 19-62. IF: 4.607
39. J. Salta, A. Martins, R. G. Santos, N. R. Neng, J. M.F. Nogueira, J. Justino, A. P. Rauter, Phenolic composition and antioxidant activity of Rocha pear and other pear cultivars – A comparative study, J. Functional Foods, 2010, 2, 153-157. IF: 4.480
40. A. P. Rauter, N. M. Xavier, S. D. Lucas, M. Santos, Zeolites and other silicon-based promoters in Carbohydrate Chemistry, Adv. Carbohydr. Chem. Biochem. 2010, 63, 29-99. IF: 3.917
41. M. T. Cabrita, C. Vale, A. P. Rauter, Halogenated compounds from marine algae, Marine Drugs 2010, 8(8), 2301-2317. IF:3.512
42. P. J. A. Madeira, N. M. Xavier, A. P. Rauter, M. H. Florêncio, Furanose C-C-linked γ-lactones: a combined ESI FTICR MS and semi-empirical calculations study, J. Mass Spectrom. 2010,45(10), 1167-1178. IF:2.709
43. P. J. A. Madeira, A. M. Rosa, N. M. Xavier, A. P. Rauter, M. H. Florêncio, Electrospray ionization mass spectrometric analysis of newly synthesized alpha,beta-unsaturated gamma-lactones fused to sugars, Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 2010, 24(7), 1049-1058. IF: 2.642
44. A. P. Rauter, A. Martins, C. Borges, H. Mota-Filipe, R. Pinto, B. Sepodes, J. Justino, Antihyperglycaemic and protective effects of flavonoids on streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats, Phytother. Res. 2010, 24, S133-S138. IF: 2.397
45. A. C. Simão, A. Tatibouet, A. P Rauter, P. Rollin, Selective iodination of vicinal cis-diols on ketopyranose templates, Tetrahedron Lett. 2010, 51(35), 4602-4604. IF:2.391
46. N. M. Xavier, S. D. Lucas, A. P. Rauter. Zeolites as efficient catalysts for key transformations in carbohydrate chemistry, J. Mol. Catal. A: Chem. 2009, 305(1-2), 84–89. IF: 3.679
47. F. Marcelo, F. V. M. Silva, M. Goulart, J. Justino, P. Sinay, Y. Bleriot, A. P. Rauter, Synthesis of novel purine nucleosides towards a selective inhibition of human butyrylcholinesterase, Bioorg. Med. Chem. 2009, 17(14), 5106-5116. IF:3.205
49. N. M. Xavier, P. J. A. Madeira, M. H. Florêncio, A. P. Rauter, Synthetic approaches to novel thiosugar scaffolds containing α,β-unsaturated carbonyl groups, Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2009, 2009(29), 4983-4991. IF: 3.154
50. F. V. M. Silva, A. Martins, J. Salta, N. R. Neng, J. M. F. Nogueira, D. Mira, N. Gaspar, J. Justino, C. Grosso, J. S. Urieta, A. M. S. Palavra, A. P. Rauter, Phytochemical profile and anticholinesterase and antimicrobial activities of supercritical versus conventional extracts ofSatureja montana, J. Agric. Food Chem. 2009, 57(24), 11557-11563. IF: 3.107
51. A.P. Rauter, A. Martins, R. Lopes, J. Ferreira, L. M. Serralheiro, M.-E. Araújo, C. Borges, J. Justino, F. V. Silva, M. Goulart, J. Thomas-Oates, J. A. Rodrigues, E. Edwards, J. P. Noronha, R. Pinto, H. Mota-Filipe, Bioactivity studies and chemical profile of the antidiabetic plant Genista tenera, J. Ethnopharmacol. 2009, 122(2), 384–393. FI: 2.939
52. F. Marcelo, R. Abou-Jneid, M. Sollogoub, J. Marrot, A. P. Rauter, Y. Blériot, Total synthesis of the epimer at C-6' of the Miharamycin B framework,SYNLETT, 2009, 8, 1269-1272. IF:2.463
53. S. D. Lucas, A. P. Rauter, J. Schneider, H.-P. Wessel, Synthesis of 3-fluoro-oxetane δ-amino acids, J. Carbohydr. Chem. 2009, 28(7-8), 431–446. IF:1.183
54. S. Silva, B. Sylla, F. Suzenet, A. Tatibouet, A. P. Rauter, P. Rollin, Oxazolinethiones and oxazolidinethiones for the first copper-catalyzed desulfurative cross-coupling reaction and first Sonogashira applications, Org. Lett.2008, 10(5), 853-856. IF: 6.324
55. *F. Marcelo, J. Jimenez-Barbero, J. Marrot, A. P. Rauter, P. Sinaÿ, Y. Blériot, Stereochemical assignment and first synthesis of the core of Miharamycin antibiotics, Chem. Eur. J., 2008, 14(32), 10066-10073. IF: 5.696
56. A. Ramos, S. Coesel, A. Marques, M. Rodrigues, A. Baumgartner, J. Noronha, A. Rauter, B. Brenig, J. Varela, Isolation and characterization of a stress-inducible Dunaliella salina Lcy-beta gene encoding a functional lycopene beta-cyclase, Appl. Microbiol. Biotech.2008, 79(5), 819-828. FI: 3.811
57. F. V. M. Silva, M. Goulart, J. Justino, A. Neves, F. Santos, J. Caio, S. Lucas, A. Newton, D. Sacoto, E. Barbosa, M. S. Santos, A.P. Rauter, Alkyl deoxy-arabino-hexopyranosides: Synthesis, surface properties, and biological activities, Bioorg. Med. Chem. 2008, 16(7), 4083-4092. IF:3.205
58. N. M. Xavier, S. Silva, P. J. A. Madeira, M. H. Florêncio, F. V. M. Silva, J. Justino, J. Thiem, A. P. Rauter, Synthesis and biological evaluation of sugars containing α,β-unsaturated γ-lactones, Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2008, 2008(36), 6134-6143. IF:3.154
59. S. Silva, S. Tardy, S. Routier, F. Suzenet, A. Tatibouet, A. P. Rauter, P. Rollin, 1,3-Oxazoline- and 1,3-Oxazolidine-2-thiones as Substrates in direct modified Stille and Suzuki cross-coupling, Tetrahedron Lett. 2008, 49(39), 5583-5586. IF:2.391
60. J. Sardinha, A. P. Rauter, M. Sollogoub, First synthesis of 5-fluoro-(+)-MK7607, its 1-epimer and 6-deoxy derivative, Tetrahedron Lett. 2008, 49(38), 5548-5550. IF:2.391
61. S. Silva, A. C. Simão, A. Tatibouët, P. Rollin, A. P. Rauter, HSCN condensation with ulosides: preferred formation of carbohydrate-fused hemiaminals of the 4-hydroxy-1,3-oxazolidine-2-thione type, Tetrahedron Lett. 2008, 49, 682-686. IF:2.391
62. N. M. Xavier, A. P. Rauter, Sugars containing α,β-unsaturated carbonyl systems: synthesis and their usefulness as scaffolds in Carbohydrate Chemistry, Carbohydr. Res. 2008, 343(10-11), 1523-1539. IF:1.966
63. S. D. Lucas, A. P. Rauter, H. P. Wessel, Synthesis of 3-methoxyoxetane δ-amino acids with d-lyxo, d-ribo, and d-arabino configurations, J. Carbohydr. Chem. 2008, 27(3), 172-187. IF:1.183
64. N. M. Xavier, A. P. Rauter, Easy and stereoselective approach to alpha,beta-unsaturated gamma-lactones fused to pyranoses from furanose scaffolds, Org. Lett.2007, 9(17), 3339-3341. IF: 6.324
65. A. P. Rauter, T. Almeida, N. M. Xavier, F. Siopa, A. I. Vicente, S. D. Lucas, J. P. Marques, F. Ramôa Ribeiro, M. Guisnet, M. J. Ferreira, Acid zeolites as efficient catalysts for O- and S-glycosylation, J. Mol. Catal. A: Chem.2007, 275, 206–213.
66. A. P. Rauter, I. Branco, R. G. Lopes, J. Justino, F. V. M. Silva, J. P. Noronha, E. J. Cabrita, I. Brouard, J. Bermejo, A new lupene triterpenetriol and anticholinesterase activity of Salvia sclareoides, Fitoterapia 2007, 78(7-8), 474-481. IF:2.216
67. J. Sardinha, S. Guieu, A. Deleuze, M. C. Fernández-Alonso, A. P. Rauter, P. Sinaÿ, J. Marrot, J. Jiménez-Barbero, M. Sollogoub, gem-Difluoro-carbasugars, the cases of mannopyranose and galactopyranose, Carbohydr. Res. 2007, 342(12-13), 1689-1703. IF:1.966
68. A. P. Rauter, R. G. Lopes, A. Martins, C-Glycosylflavonoids: Identification, bioactivity, and synthesis,Nat. Prod. Commun. 2007, 2(11), 1175-1196. IF :0.924
69. E. Edwards, J. Rodrigues, J. Ferreira, D. Goodall, A. Rauter, J. Justino, J. Thomas-Oates, Capillary electrophoresis-mass spectrometry characterisation of secondary metabolites from the antihyperglycaemic plant Genista tenera, Electrophoresis 2006, 27(11), 2164-2170.IF:3.161
71. N. Leconte, S. Silva, A. Tatibouët, A. P. Rauter, P. Rollin, Aromatic or chiral heterocycle - Balance between 1,3-oxazoline-2-thione and 1,3-oxazolidine-2-thione, SYNLETT 2006, 2, 301-305. IF:2.463
72. S. D. Lucas, H. Iding, A. Alker, H. P. Wessel, A. P. Rauter, Oxetane δ-amino acids: Chemoenzymatic synthesis of 2,4-anhydro-5-N-(t-butoxycarbonyl)amino-d-lyxonic acid, J. Carbohydr. Chem. 2006, 25(2-3), 187-196. IF:1.183
73. A. C. Simão, B. Lynikaite-Pukleviciene, C. Rousseau, A. Tatibouet, S. Cassel, A. Sackus, A. P. Rauter, P. Rollin, 1,2-Glycerol carbonate: a Versatile renewable synthon, Lett. Org. Chem., 2006, 3(10), 744-748. IF:0.648
76. A. Martins, M. Wink, A. Tei, M. Brum-Bousquet, F. Tillequin, A. P. Rauter, A phytochemical study of the quinolizidine alkaloids from Genista tenera by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, Phytochem. Anal. 2005, 16(4), 264-266. IF:2.450
77. A. P. Rauter, M. M. Filipe, C. Prata, J. P. Noronha, M. A. M. Sampayo, J. Justino, J. Bermejo, A new dihydroxysterol from the marine phytoplanktonDiacronema sp., Fitoterapia 2005, 76(5), 433-438. IF:2.216
78. Z.Tostão, J. P. Noronha, E. J. Cabrita, J. Medeiros, J. Justino, J.
Bermejo, A. P. Rauter, A novel pentacyclic triterpene fromLeontodon filii,
Fitoterapia 2005, 76(2), 173-180. IF:2.216
79. A.P. Rauter, S. Lucas, T. Almeida, D. Sacoto, V. Ribeiro, J. Justino, A. Neves, F. V. M. Silva, M. C. Oliveira, M. J. Ferreira, M.-S. Santos, E. Barbosa, Synthesis, surface active and antimicrobial properties of new alkyl 2,6-dideoxy-L-arabino-hexopyranosides,Carbohydr. Res. 2005, 340(2), 191-201. IF:1.966
80. A.P. Rauter, M. Padilha, J. A. Figueiredo, M. I. Ismael, J. Justino, H. Ferreira, M. J. Ferreira, C. Rajendran, R. Wilkins, P. Vaz, M. J. Calhorda, Bioactive pseudo-C-nucleosides containing thiazole, thiazolidinone, and tetrazole rings, J. Carbohydr. Chem. 2005, 24(3), 275-296. IF:1.183
81. C. Dias, A. Martins, M. S. Santos, A. P. Rauter, M. Malik; Glycal transformation into 2-deoxy glycosides; In: Carbohydrate Chemistry - Proven Synthetic Methods (Ed. S. Vidal), Vol. 3, CRC Press - Taylor & Francis: Boca Raton, Florida, 2014, in press.
82. C. Dias, A. P. Rauter, Carbohydrates and Glycomimetics in Alzheimer’s Disease Therapeutics and Diagnosis, In: Carbohydrates in Drug Design, Ed. J. Jiménez Barbero, The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, 2014, in press.
83. A. R. Jesus, A. P. Rauter, J. Liu; Recent Advances in Enzymatic Synthesis of Heparin; In:Carbohydrate Chemistry – Chemical and Biological Approaches, Vol 39, Eds. A. P. Rauter, T.K. Lindhorst, RSCPublishing: Cambridge, pp. 38-57, 2013.
84. J. Sardinha, A. P. Rauter, M. Sollogoub, Y. Bleriot; TIBAL Induced Rearrangement: Synthesis of gem-Difluorocarbagalactose; in Carbohydrate Chemistry: Proven Methods, Vol. 1, Ed. P. Kovac, CRC Press - Taylor & Francis: Boca Raton, Florida, Chapter 14, pp. 129-136, 2012.
85. N. M. Xavier, S. Kopitzki, A. P. Rauter; Pyranose-Fused Butenolides: An Expedient Preparation from Furanose Synthons; in Carbohydrate Chemistry: Proven Methods, Vol. 1, Ed. P. Kovac, CRC Press - Taylor & Francis: Boca Raton, Florida, Chapter 15, pp. 137-158, 2012.
86. L. Cipolla, B. La Ferla, A. P. Rauter, F. Nicotra; Regioselective debenzylation of C-glycosylpropene; in Carbohydrate Chemistry: Proven Methods, Vol. 1, Ed. P. Kovac, CRC Press - Taylor & Francis: Boca Raton, Florida, Chapter 17, pp. 167-174, 2012.
87. R. G. Soengas, J. M. Otero, A. M. Estévez, A. P. Rauter, V. Cachatra, J. C. Estévez, R. J. Estévez; Na overview of key routes for the transformation of sugars into carbasugars and related compounds; In:Carbohydrate Chemistry – Chemical and Biological Approaches, Vol 38, Eds. A. P. Rauter, T.K. Lindhorst, RSCPublishing: Cambridge, pp. 263-302, 2012.
88. M. M. Andrade, A. P. Rauter; Synthesis of carbohydrate-based artificial siderophores and their biological applications; In:Carbohydrate Chemistry – Chemical and Biological Approaches, Vol 38, Eds. A. P. Rauter, T.K. Lindhorst, RSCPublishing: Cambridge, pp. 398-415, 2012.
89. S. Schwarz, N. M. Xavier, R. Csuk, A. P. Rauter; Triterpene/Steroid Glycoconjugates: Natural Occurrence, Synthesis and Biological Activities; in Carbohydrate Chemistry – Chemical and Biological Approaches, Vol 37, Eds. A. P. Rauter, T. K. Lindhorst, RSCPublishing: Cambridge, pp. 326-366, 2012.
90. A. C. Simão, J. Rousseau, S. Silva, A. P. Rauter, A. Tatibouët, P. Rollin, Thionocarbamates on carbohydrate scaffolds – from synthesis to bioactivity. Em: Specialist Periodical Reports: Carbohydrate Chemistry – Chemical and Biological Approaches, A. P. Rauter, T. Lindhorst, Eds., The Royal Society of Chemisty, Cambridge, Vol. 35, pp. 127-172, 2009.
91. A. P. Rauter, E. Gaspar, J. P. Noronha, A. Escudeiro, Plantas Medicinales Iberoamericanas, M. H. Gupta, Ed., Bogota, Colombia: Convenio Andres Bello, Série de Ciencia y Tecnologia No 158, 2008 (authors of the book content on Portuguese medicinal plants).
1. Specialist Periodical Reports: Carbohydrate Chemistry - Chemical and Biological Approaches, Vol. 40, A. Pilar Rauter, T. K. Lindhorst, Y. Queneau Eds., The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, 2014.
Specialist Periodical Reports: Carbohydrate Chemistry - Chemical and Biological
Approaches, Vol. 39, A. Pilar Rauter, T. K. Lindhorst, Eds., The Royal Society
of Chemistry, Cambridge, 2013.
3. Specialist Periodical Reports: Carbohydrate Chemistry - Chemical and Biological Approaches, Vol. 38, A. Pilar Rauter, T. K. Lindhorst, Eds., The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, 2012.
4. Specialist Periodical Reports: Carbohydrate Chemistry - Chemical and Biological Approaches, Vol. 37, A. Pilar Rauter, T. K. Lindhorst, Eds., The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, 2012.
5. Carbohydrates in Sustainable Development I, Topics in Current Chemistry, Vol. 294, A. P. Rauter, P. Vogel, Y. Queneau, Eds., Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2010.
6. Carbohydrates in Sustainable Development II, Topics in Current Chemistry, Vol. 295, A. P. Rauter, P. Vogel, Y. Queneau, Eds., Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2010.
7. "Carbohydrate Chemistry - Chemical and Biological Approaches", RSC Book Series: Specialist Periodical Reports, Vol. 36, A. Pilar Rauter, T. K. Lindhorst, Eds., The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, 2010.
8. "Carbohydrate Chemistry - Chemical and Biological Approaches", RSC Book Series: Specialist Periodical Reports, Vol. 35, A. Pilar Rauter, T. K. Lindhorst, Eds., The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, 2009.
9. “Natural Products in the New Millennium: Prospects and Industrial Application”, Proceedings of the Phytochemical Society of Europe, Vol. 47, A. P. Rauter, F. B. Palma, J. Justino, M. E. Araújo, S. P. Santos, Eds., Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 2002.
10. “11th European Carbohydrate Symposium – Book of Abstracts”, A. P. Rauter, Ed., Normagrafe, Ltd, Santarém, 2001.
11. “Carbohydrate Mimics – Concepts and Methods”,
Y. Chapleur, Ed. and H.-J. Altenbach, F. Nicotra, F. Chétien, A. P. Rauter, J. M. Contelles, S. M. Roberts, Associated Eds., Wiley-VCH Verlag, Weinheim, 1998.